Thread: specie?

Default specie?

as you know choosing a good specie is one of the things that can lead you to have a good apiary.
    i need some information about bee species and sub-species especially about these sub-species: a. m. adamii , a. m. anatolica , a. m. cypria , a. m. caucasica , a. m. meda a. m. ameniaca.
    Thanks.

Default Re: specie?

Hi,
    This might not help you, but getting a bee from you're region is probably the best bet. They are used to living in that environment for many generations.
    Dan

>i need some information about bee species and sub-species especially about these sub-species: a. m. adamii , a. m. anatolica , a. m. cypria , a. m. caucasica , a. m. meda a. m. ameniaca.

Genus: Apis
    Species: Mellifera
    Variety: adamii, anatolica, cypria, caucasica, meda, ameniaca

See "In search of the best strains of bees" by Brother Adam for most of those.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Additionally, if you are acquiring open-mated queens who have hung around with the neighborhood feral drones, there is no way you can keep any line straight. Further, some of my nastiest, defensive, aggressive bees have come from Italian stock. They were so mean I had them genetically tested for African genetics. Supposedly, Italians are gentle. I've had some really yellow Buckfast.

Somedays I wonder what I've really got and if anyone has clearly defined lines that are genetically pure. So, instead of worrying about what I got, I raise my own queens from the hives that work best with my management skills and my incompetence.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725