Thread: cell problem

Default cell problem

I am trying to rear my first queens, grafting went fairly well, then cells were placed into styrofoam mini nucs. checked them today and many had holes chewed into the sides. I assume the queen was killed for some reason. the mini nucs have about a cup of bees each. What am I am doing wrong????

Default Re: cell problem

Ok you said cells were placed in your nuc how many. Remember after a queen hatches she does just that and kills the other queens in the hive. Virgins can be very hard to spot. You might want to look around.

I placed just one cell each. I had about 15 cells and 8 were chewed open. I am very confused.

What about your nurse bee and drone ratio bees in your mini nucs.

Were your mating nucs queenless for a while before you added the cells? Whatever it was try try again! BTW, without a picture it's hard to tell exactly what you mean, but cells that have successfully produced a queen get cleaned out, and the opening is often enlarged up the side. - so it may be normal, don't jump to any conclusions too soon.

Extra bees were added when the cells were placed in the nuc. Ill try pictures. latter. But the cells are chewed on the sides , round holes.

Quote Originally Posted by cteddo View Post
    Extra bees were added when the cells were placed in the nuc.
    The cells were killed by the bees. They look like cells killed when a queen or virgin is present. That's not possible from your description. I wonder if adding additional bees when celling the nucs might have had something to do with it.

Thanks for the replies, as I said I have alot to learn. could some of you walk me through your procedures of setting up your mating nucs, timing, amount of bees, etc. thanks