Thread: how carful

Default how carful

how carful do you need to be while grafting,i gave it a shot today,24 in all.sometimes it took 2 to 3 tryes to that little bugger outa the cell.i just dont have much fath in my grafting.i gues well see ! and that chiness grafting tool,eny tips on that thing?
    i primed with yogert,but ended up using my homade tools.

Default Re: how carful

must be a stupid question,ill figr it out myself !

The bees will not start the cell if you roll the larva over or up the side of the cell when you try to lift it. Usually if I don't pick the larva up properly the first try I stop and go to another larva. You can damage the larva if you are rough putting it in the queen cup, it's somthing you just have to learn with practice. The acceptance rate will let you know if you are doing it properly.

I have used several types of grafting tools and I like the artist brush the best. Chinese grafting tools are OK once you get used to them. You can dry graft or prime the cells, try both ways and see which you like best and which gives the best acceptance. When you first start learning to graft it is less difficult if you try getting the larva at 24 hours old. After you get used to grafting start picking out the 12 to 18 hour old ones, they are the ones that have not curled into the "C" shape.

thank you,out of 24 grafts,i think i properly did maby 8 or so.from now on if i cant getem the 1st time ill switch and try for another,thanks again.

I use the chinese grafting tool. costs less than $3.00. I try to find eggs first so I know what size they are. Then I look for larvae as close to the size of the egg as I can get. The larvae sit in a drop of royal jelly. The eggs don't. I slip the tip of the chinese grafting tool under the curved side, not the open side of the larva. The grub usually slips on pretty easy. You don't need to twist it or anything. Lift it over to the cup you are grafting into. Place the tip of the tool with the larva on it in the bottom of the cup and push the spring down. The bamboo rod pushes the larva off the plastic flap. It stays in the cup. No Yoghurt needed. It is important to do this in good light with a good magnifier ( a head strap magnifier works great.) Don't do it outside in the sun. The wax in the comb will start to soften and the larvae will dry out. Good luck!

curved side,great advice,could not check on grafts today ,rainy and cold.ill get the hang of this grafting.every bit of advice helps a lot.

THANKS !!!