Hybrid View

Default How to stop bees from building comb in division board feeder?

My bees have gotten in the habit of filling their division board feeder with comb. How do I get them out other than just leaving out of the hive?

Default Re: How to stop bees from building comb in division board feeder?

Where do you have it placed?
    I have it allway's to the very outside....easy to fill with a slight move of the hive cover, never had problem with comb.

Change to a top hive jar feeder! It wont drown no bees, you wont have to open the hive and you wont have to disturb the bees when checking feed levels! Plus you can build them yourself!

use a cap and ladder and problem solved plus less dead bees. I always blow a good amount of smoke onto the feeder before filling, this drives most bees out of it so they dont drown when I fill it.

All that said, if I had enough empty boxes I would prefer to feed with inverted jars on top. This avoids robbing, drowning, opening hives, can be done in any weather, etc. I have a few inner covers I made that hold 5, 2-1/2 quart inverted jars over screen holes. Thats over 3 gallons and works great for fall feeding. Problem is you have to have an empty deep box for every colony to feed this way or somewhere to put all the frames you pull out the boxes you use to do it.