Default No honey in supers in kentucky

Just a question this is my first full year. I purchased three established hives early last fall and made it through with 2. I split one and ordered three queens to replace the original two and one for my new split. I had some trouble requeening one split so I had to use my other queen for that which left none to requeen my other hive. The hive that I did not split appeared to be carniolan or a dark breed reminder I ran out of queens so this was the old queen. They built up really slow but then were off to a great start by mid april. However they have remained filling only 3-4 frames of brood, no more. Is this normal. I was hoping to get honey off of this hive because the rest were splits, swarms, and nucs. I know it is early and may be expecting too much too early. I installed a super 2 weeks ago with drawn comb, no signs of nectar yet. Any tips to help me out or any way I can help them.
    Last edited by newbee1025; 05-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Default Re: No honey in supers in kentucky

I'm not sure what your situation is, mine are ready to start extracting next week when the sun returns. Always remember the season starts in the fall, fat bees for winter, then early build up in late Feb. thru Mar. is what I try for. The image below is mid March brood frames. Hope this helps some and good luck

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_0341.jpg
    Poppy's Bees, Queens, and Honey
    Mammoth Cave, KY

Do you use pollen patties or feed syrup in the spring. I fed them up in the fall about 2 gallons per hive. I thought that would be enough. Both boxes were very full. I wish I could have replaced the queen I feel like she is just getting old. However during late march and early april she had a great pattern and filled the frames up nicely very few holes. What would be the average amount of frames of brood this time of year.

Some have 6 -8 frames in the deep and 4 -6 thru 2 mediums then 2-3 honey mediums above this.
    Check out Walt Wright in the point of view section here on Beesource.
    Poppy's Bees, Queens, and Honey
    Mammoth Cave, KY

My hives are slow building this year, i assumed it was all because of the rainny spring weather! One of my hives filled one super and the other super is half full and then the hive swarmed. I caught the swarm on may 7th. I will be inspecting that hive tomorrow! I have a top bar hive that was weak coming out of winter but now its booming. The brood frames are completely solid with brood, you couldnt ask for anything better! Im using the TBH to increase my hives, i didnt feel like smashing and straining this year!