Default Swarm trap question

I placed a swarm trap with an old piece of comb inside my backyard. I really wasn't expecting to catch any there and I was going on vacation so I just left it there. After 12 days I returned home and I saw bees going in and out. Excited and being a newbie, I suited up to go check out the box. What I found was only about 50 or so bees and no queen. The bees seem to be repairing the old comb, which had wax moth damage. But it is very strange, nothing else seems to be going on, but after 3 days there is still a lot of flying in and out of the entrance, but no swarm. Could they just be robbing the old comb? Or do scout bees prepare a place ahead of swarming? Someone at my bee club suggested that these bees were the stragglers from a swarm I missed while I was gone. Any Ideas?

Default Re: Swarm trap question

stragglers from a swarm I missed while I was gone
    They may well bee stragglers but don`t give up you can never tell what may happen
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Scouting of baithives can go on for weeks prior to a swarm arriving. Scouting can also go on for weeks without a swarm arriving.

I recently caught a swarm in a bait trap and started with the same issues that you have. I also have 1 deep old black brood frame in the trap that i replaced out of one of my active hives and few months ago and lemongrass oil. For about 2 weeks there were several bees frequenting the box and i checked the contents a couple times and only had 30-50 bees inside....but 3 weeks in and a big swarm moved in and took residence in my trap. So originally i thought the activity could be robbing, stragglers, or scouts but whatever was happening worked cause i got the swarm. My advise is give it time...it will happen........

Thanks all for the vote of confidence, especially you, POW317. I hope my similar situation has such a happy outcome and in my own backyard too! lol.

I have recieved quite a bit of help from the large # of people on this board that are greatly unselfish with their knowlege to help other people.....I'm by no means an expert....but glad i could help.

It sounds like a scouting situation to me. I had that happen and thought the same thing. Just take a peek at them every once in a while... if they take to the box fully you will be able to tell. Those that I caught this year were in old wax as well. It seems to be good for a bait hive.