Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you like going foundationless?

I'm fairly new to beekeeping, so maybe experimenting this early is a bad idea, but I thought I would try out some foundationless frames this year. I have two nucs that are ready for another deep box. My plan was to alternate frames with foundation and frames without. I'll wire the foundationless deep frames. I also plan on trying this with a couple of honey supers.

For those of you who have already tried foundationless frames in a Langstroth box, how did you like the results? I'm sorry if the treatment free forum isn't the proper place for this question, but it seems to me that treatment free people are some of the most likely to use foundationless frames, and if it saves me from having to treat the bees as much, all the better.

Default Re: How do you like going foundationless?

I forgot to mention that the frames I am using are the foundationless frames sold by Kelley

Putting foundationless between empty foundation is likely to result in honey that is 2 1/2 inches thick and so heavy that it falls out. Foundationless between capped honey comes out beautiful.

It is great for raising drones, that I destroy for Varroa control. I like the convenience of good foundation in honey supers.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

The only well drawn foundationless comb I have was drawn between two frames of brood. If you have frames of drone comb for varroa control, place one in the nuc when you add the foundationless frame. This helps stop the bees from drawing the foundationless comb out in drone size cells.

One of the best decisions I ever made.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have been using foundationless, but not exclusively, for several years now. It is remarkable how quickly the bees can make comb for themselves with little help from we beekeepers. Sometimes them make foundationless drone comb - I've discovered that I don't need to let them use drone comb to raise drones, unless I want them to.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

It works great for me but, as noted above, at times they'll draw out double-wide combs the reach to beespace-shy of the adjoining foundation. Between drawn comb it's consistently drawn accurately.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I just started using foundationless so I can't really offer an opinion. However, I do have a few that have been drawn out quite nice, AND quick. The first thing I gained from trying them out was a greater appreciation for the miracle of the bees work. Although, they do draw out foundation, I feel that seeing an empty frame get filled up with such beautiful work really gives you a sense of the wonderful work of nature.

Later, John

I'm new this year as well. I just decided foundationless would let the bees do what they want the just the way God designed them to. I've caught 3 swarms and all 3 are doing very well drawing out the comb as they need it. You've got to make sure your hives are level. I've done this and they draw the comb is straight on the comb guides. It has been amazing to see them go to work and set up shop.

Quote Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
    ... foundationless would let the bees do what they want the just the way God designed them to.
    Well, letting them die from varroa does that too . But foundationless does offer some advantages; it's a management option with pros and cons like everything else.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    Well, letting them die from varroa does that too . But foundationless does offer some advantages; it's a management option with pros and cons like everything else.
    I agree. It's a management option. My dad uses foundation. Works great. Didn't mean to come off as sounding religious about foundationless. They both work and each has trade-offs.

Thanks for the thoughts everybody. I have used one of my deep frames already. I put a hood trap on in it for small hive beetles. The comb they were drawing on it was nice. Unfortunately I forgot that the hood trap was there and tipped the hive body back, which spilled a bunch of oil and killed some bees, hopefully not the queen. The trap did seem to be helping some though. I saw several beeltes in the trap and didn't notice any running around in the hive. If they are in the trap I know there are some in the hive, but the population is at least low.

Sorry to hear about the oil spill. I have been goung without foundation for...well since I started six years ago. I only had one hive that built it weird unless I turned the hive to face a more southerly direction. A couple crazy comb but they built straight after that. I do use a starter strip foundation (one cell deep at the top and the last two years just a strip of wax. The only time I take care is with new comb because it hasn't 'toughened' up enough and will easily break.

I justed started my first found-less frames few days ago. Took a quick peek, and each had one frame of drone comb they were drawing, and one was actually starting to draw worker comb on another frame. Im not feeding them sugar syrup or anything.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I find it is great, they build very fast, though I dont think I will try to spin the honey out, i just press the comb to extract the honey at harvest.
    I also have a very crafty wife who likes to do stuff with all the extra wax

Are y'all using 10 frames in a hive or 9. Most of my boxes have the frame spacers in them

nine frames

In a ten frame box, 11. In an eight frame box 9.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

These are from a swarm I caught 3 weeks ago today, the girls have their 1st box completely drawn out.

I follow Michael Bush's advice and use 9 - 1 1/4" wide frames in an 8 frame box.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast