Default Ibreeding-outbreeding combination

Hi, I had read somewhere that some people inbreed there outbreeding things then bred the two inbred lines together. Do you think this would work for honey bees?

Default Re: Ibreeding-outbreeding combination

It don't work with people and or animals but then again never seen a retarded bee either.

Retarded bees are dead bees.

Unless cared for from the outside, these animals are some of the first to be killed off in the wild.
    In the wild such people and animals would the first to make the Darwin list.
    Old Guy in Alabama

When you are breeding for certain characteristics, an inbred cross can help to fix traits you want. The downside is it may fix traits you didn't realize you had that you don't want. With bees the OTHER downside is that sex is determined by certain alleles and if a queen is too inbred most of her fertilized eggs (diploid eggs) will end up male instead of female because of how those match up. The symptom would be spotty brood.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

As MB said, it's typically used as one element of a broader breeding goal, and takes some knowledge of bee genetics to be used successfully. Otherwise it just depresses vigor (and really it takes I.I. to incorporate reliably).
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO