Default Borage in a Field

My question is how much water does borage plants take ? I heard they bloom from around june or july till frost . How well do they take drought. I can water them in and get them started but they wont get much water in August or well probably just August around here.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Default Re: Borage in a Field

It does well here without summer rain.
    Dan

Don't know yet, as mine were watered fairly consistently all last summer. I will say this though about borage - it reseeds itself really well. Last year I did my very best to collect all the seeds I could from my tiny garden borage patch (probably 4'x4' or so) I managed to collect about 1200 seeds by hand over weeks of plucking them as they ripened. Even so, that patch is littered with little borage plants coming up for themselves this spring.

I'll always keep them around. I'm building up seed stock for when I move onto my own acreage.

Adam

I've sprouted and transplanted 300 seedlings so far into pots, I'll do another batch and plant them in a 200x 200 field.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

BG,

They say to plant them densely, as they tend to fall all over the place. I found that in my garden as well. I had perhaps a dozen plants in a 4'x4' area and they still fell on the ground. Commercial operations will plant them very densely from what I've read. I could easily see planting 4 per square foot, or even more.

You've got about 4000 square feet to work with, so I would say either plant a smaller area more densely, or plant a LOT more to fill the space.

Adam