Default New Breeder Queen - not laying after

Okay, need some advice here. I bought a high-dollar breeder queen. I picked a strong hive - double brood box, loaded with brood. I killed the old queen on 4/23, installed the new breeder queen in a cage w/ sugar candy on 4/24 but I had to go out of town for 10 days. I opened the hive on 5/5 (10 days later) and found no eggs. Panicked, I searched several frames and found her, she was much larger than when installed (still had her number on her - so I know it was her). I closed the hive back up and gave it a few days. So, I opened the hive yesterday 5/10 and still there are no eggs and this time I didn't find her. Also, all of the frames were loaded with honey and pollen. She could be hiding in there and I think I should remove some frames with honey so she has somewhere to lay. Any ideas or suggestions?

Default Re: New Breeder Queen - not laying after

Kinda tough to find eggs if the brood chamber is packed out with honey and pollen. If you have eggs/very young larva in another hive give them a frame or 2 and see if they build cells. Also open the brood chambers up with some drawn comb. We had the same thing happen last year with 2 of Glenn Apiaries breeder queens. Introduced them as per Glenn's furnished instructions and waited 5 days to release them from the wire cage. Both were accepted and started laying but were superceded after laying a couple frames of eggs. Glenn's replaced them. The queens I raised from those eggs turned out real nice though!

You should let the breeder of the queens know that he gave you a bad queen.

Is the queen artificially insemanated?

If so she might not got her second dose of CO2.
    I had a queen start laying only a month after she emerged and she fills up frame quickly.

I only buy queens from people who make sure the queen has a good laying pattern

Yes, she was instrumentally inseminated. I Just sent the supplier an email, so far they have been very helpful. We'll see how it turns out-

Sounds like there is just no frame to lay in, if its full of honey.

On the superseded part, I would say a very large percentage of all introduced queens are superseded, if you don't work to prevent it. You need to go in 7 days after de-queening the colony and cut any superseded cells. Repeat this every 7 days until they stop trying to replace her. They usually do stop very soon. but I have had to do this several times in some cases. You have to consider that they are not related to her, so perhaps are not recognizing her as being as good as she really is.

If I really want a r-queening to work, I will make a split to introduce the queen to and leave it in the same yard so that the field bees return to the parent colony, then introduce the queen the next day to the split with a push in cage. Check to see if they appear to have accepted her and release her in 3 days. Then do the 7 day checking thing (see above), starting from 7 days after the split was made. Having a one box split makes the checking less disturbing to the colony, since you only have 10 (or less) frames to go through. You don't want to overly disturb a colony trying to accept a new queen.

Seems like I read somewhere that confining a queen during shipping, or for any other reason, can make them stop laying at least for a time. I haven't seen that yet (at least not that I know of), but if that's what happened it is not the breeders fault.

Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for them to start laying. Sometimes they go right to it. I'd give her a few more days.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF