Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I have Mason Bee(s)

You may still get some leafcutter bees coming to the mason boxes in MA I think. Watch for green wads of chewed leaf pieces plugging any holes up.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

I think my mason bee season is indeed ended. I haven't seen any in a while and there is a dead bee upside down in one of the tubes.

Oddly, some of the mud caps on the ends seem to have opened up a little. I wonder if something is trying to get into the tubes. I found a small worm-like critter going from one tube into another. I removed it and wonder if he/she was trying to get into the tubes.

Is there something I should do now to protect those tubes that are mudded over?

You should be protecting your holes immediately. If you're using a block of wood, take it down and place it in your garage/shed in a box. have the holes facing up. If straws, do the same, but also realize that there will be as many partially filled holes as completely filled. Look to our website www.crownbees.com to see how to dectect partially filled ones.

Don't worry about moving the nests. the larva at this point are VERY robust and can take any accidental knocking around. Sign up for our bee-mail to help you remember to do what in the fall.

Dave

Hi Dave. I'll take them down ASAP, thanks for the info. I tried to sign up for your bee-mail but the link just opened the main page of the site :-(

Will

Will, toss me an email. info@crownbees.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12