Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

I have Mason Bee(s)

10K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  woodinvilledave 
#1 ·
So I've had my houses up for a few weeks now. Today is the first activity I've seen. There is a single tube in use by a single bee.

It is larger than I thought they would be but looks just like the pictures on the web.

I shall put out a small dish of wet soil and see if he/she plays in it. :)

#5 ·
Bee number 2 has arrived and yes, it was carrying a yellow glob when it flew past.

Here's the thing. The first bee I saw yesterday looked a lot like a honey bee, or what I think a honey bee looks like. It fit the tube but was as big as the opening.

Today, the bee I saw was smaller and either dark blue or black.

Do I have two kinds of bees using my house?

#6 ·
The first one you saw might have been something like a leaf-cutter bee, which looks similar to a honey bee but uses the same nesting system as the orchards; the second one, the dark green/blue/black was an orchard (or mason) bee.

#7 ·
I agree with Cris- two kinds of solitary bee.
I get the blue orchard masons, but also some brownish fuzzy Osmia taurus and now horn faced bees too....the last two do sometimes look like small honeybees.

Congratulations! Next year you will have 3 or 4 times as many nesting bees in those boxes, if you take care of them. :)

#11 ·
I grabbed a flashlight and took a look down a few of the tubes. 4 in the 2x6 blocks I drilled out are in use so far. Of the tubes I purchased, only one is in use, but they are hard to examine. It's kind of an optical illusion as they are so close together. Sort of like tunnel vision :)

Question - there is a large, and stunning, jumping spider who is living in and around the bee house. Is he/she going to be a problem? I can remove the spider but I don't really want to if it won't be trouble.

#13 ·
as of tonight I would say 1/3 of the tubes have bees in them and 6 are now mudded over.
I have a small, thin, black wasp looking fella living in one of the tubes too. Not sure how to get rid of him or even if I should.

I'm going to try to mark that tube or at least take note of its position so I don't save it during the winter.

#16 ·
I made some mason bee houses by drilling 5/16" (I think) holes in and old non-PT 2x4. Something is just now using the holes. I think I saw a couple genuine mason bees (dark ones), but the few holes that are plugged seem to be filled with sawdust, not mud. Does that mean a different kind of bee, or that they can't find mud?

#22 ·
I think my mason bee season is indeed ended. I haven't seen any in a while and there is a dead bee upside down in one of the tubes.

Oddly, some of the mud caps on the ends seem to have opened up a little. I wonder if something is trying to get into the tubes. I found a small worm-like critter going from one tube into another. I removed it and wonder if he/she was trying to get into the tubes.

Is there something I should do now to protect those tubes that are mudded over?

#23 ·
You should be protecting your holes immediately. If you're using a block of wood, take it down and place it in your garage/shed in a box. have the holes facing up. If straws, do the same, but also realize that there will be as many partially filled holes as completely filled. Look to our website www.crownbees.com to see how to dectect partially filled ones.

Don't worry about moving the nests. the larva at this point are VERY robust and can take any accidental knocking around. Sign up for our bee-mail to help you remember to do what in the fall.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.