Sad Disasterous Evening

Felt like a real winner having successfully overwintered my 1st hive and all going strong this spring. But I noticed an uncapped queen cup with larva in it on Sunday. I was told to switch out frames in the brood nest (very congested with honey), but by the time I got the chance to do it yesterday evening (2 days later -- yes, busy at work), the bees had raised 4-5 capped swarm cells and what looked like a supercedure cell, all on one frame. Could not find queen or eggs. Could not find enough pure honey frames to switch out, was hefting heavy boxes around, rolling all sorts of bees, bees were mad, smoker was going out, dropped a frame, ripped a honey frame removing it so honey flowing all over, and squishing lots of people getting it all back together. Then they were all just hanging around the front -- never seen this before. Fretted later that honey was surging into the hive from ripped frame, so went out at night to remove it. They'd fixed it and let's just say they weren't glad I was there. Don't need advice -- just commiserating over a very bad night. I guess the swarm is coming -- I don't even have another bottom board to split them. Gee, this is supposed to be fun!!

Default Re: Disasterous Evening

Marriage is supposed to be fun too. Welcome to the club.
    Sometimes things take a little work.

Fun is in the eye of the beholder. The bright side. At least ya know you will have a new queen. If ya have a really strong hive ya might not even notice a swarm has left. If ya catch the swarm more bees. No big woop. No bottom board?? Put a box on a piece of plywood put a 1 inch hole in the box for an entrance put in some frames make a split or catch the swarm or swarms put a lid on it buy more bottom boards and boxes ant tops. Do your part for the economy, Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet ☺ If your 6 feet above ground it can't be to bad.
    Last edited by mac; 05-11-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: add humor
    Im really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by sinclairz View Post
    Don't need advice --
    Sounds like you need a lot of advice !!

PCM

Go over to this site and download the coats 5 frame nuc plans you can use that for a split ez to make and cheap http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/downloads/

Thanks for the good humor, perspective and, yes, advice (I know I need it, was just feeling too upset to take it). It's a very strong hive, so MAC -- maybe you're right that they swarmed already! So it's the end of the honeymoon, and on to the work. But hard work in a marriage yields deep satisfaction in the end, so I'm going to think good thoughts about my hopefully long relationship with the bees. Thanks!

I've been going through a rough patch with one of my hives too. But, yesterday I couldn't wait and took a frame of freshly capped honey out of my good hive. After getting it in a jar and tasting it for the first time this year it all became worth it.

Put a box on a piece of plywood put a 1 inch hole in the box for an entrance
    Why the one inch hole? Using a standard 3/8 hole is wrong?

Wouldn't it be hard to defend?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I've never heard of a "standard 3/8" hole. That would be way too small for a hive of any size including a swarm. I've got holes drilled in some boxes and they are all 3/4" - 1".

Look at it this way. Maybe the worst night you will have in beekeeping is over! Yeah!
    Old Guy in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    Look at it this way. Maybe the worst night you will have in beekeeping is over! Yeah!
    Naw, as soon as you say or think that, you'll have a much more "interesting" night....and don't ask me how I know!
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow