Default How soon does swarm queen start laying?

How long after hiving a swarm before the queen starts laying? I got one 8 days ago, and they have drawn out a good bit of comb, but almost all of it is being filled with nectar. I don't see any evidence of the queen (no eggs or larvae). Of course, it may be there and I just didn't see it.

I have them in a deep Nuc, and I added a second box today to give them more room (I don't have any extra 10 frame woodenware right now), but I'm worried that I may not have a queen. Maybe I should just combine them with one of my weak hives? How long should I wait to see?

Default Re: How soon does swarm queen start laying?

Sometimes as soon as two or three if she's the old queen and sometimes as long as three weeks if she's a virgin.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I wouldn't add another box til they have 8 of 10 frames drawn out in first box

Quote Originally Posted by kbenz View Post
    I wouldn't add another box til they have 8 of 10 frames drawn out in first box
    It's gonna be tight getting 10 frames in that 5 frame box....

Try 8!!!

duh-huh,, maybe I should read it a little better

Mine took 2 days,but had drawn comb,and is laying in half drawn fresh plasticell foundation comb as well.but this sworm was biggggg to boot.i would introduce a frame of larva from a booming hive and let them raise there own queen.but thats just my way.

I have a swarm I caught a week ago that I checked on yesterday that is the same way. Everything is full of nectar and pollen, no eggs yet. I'm going to give them till next Tuesday and if I don't see eggs I'm introducing a frame of brood and eggs to them. My other hive is also young so brood and eggs are valuable right now. Hopefully next year with two or three established hives, I'll have more resources at my disposal.

Yeah, I think I'll give them 'til next week also. One of my other hives is really strong, so I should be able to take a frame from it with no problems (assuming I don't kill that queen...).

A month ago i started a hive with only a cup of bees and a chunk of brood camb that fell off the brood frame,they raised there own queen in now time at all,now i have a babby hive with an emergency queen if needed.shes a egg laying little girl too.i lurned last summer,if you try to hard you will probbly do mor wrong then wright.bees now what there doing!