Default Foundationless frames

I was reading about not putting foundation in frames.
    Does anyone do this and like or dislike it.
    Ben

Default Re: Foundationless frames

Everyone did it that way until 1857. I have run foundationless, but I prefer to use foundation.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

When you do use foundation do you use wax or plastic?
    Do you do chuck honey?

Comb honey is on "thin surplus" I always have some comb honey going. I have used natural horizontally wired, vertical crimp wired, duracrap, I mean Duragilt, and my current favorite Pierco. I replace the comb after two years since it is a chemical sponge. Plastic, especially Pierco, is easy to scrape and reuse.
    americasbeekeeper.com

I started using some foundationless this year with great results so far, straight white comb, not much drone. If it continues to work out I love it...1.I know where it came from 2. Least amount of chemical contamination 3. Cost 4. The bee's love it, I have never seen bee's draw wax as fast.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I've run just about all foundationless until this year, but since I got me one of them extractors I thought I would try some with foundation too. So, since I have both I tried putting some foundationless frames between capped honey - beautiful results.

I have thought about putting a single foundationless frame in the center just to try out some comb honey for fun. Do you melt some wax on the top to encourage them to build the comb, or will they do it automatically if they are surrounded by the other frames?
    Also, if you are running a 9 frame super, should you go back to 10 if you try that, or will it matter?

Any extra room you give them is also giving them the opportunity to build the comb wrong, not saying they will but... I have one ten frame with 5 foundationless intermingled with 5 drawn, same set up in my nucs. I did not use wax, just turned the wedge sideways and nailed it in.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I do not put wax on frames or top bars. I put them on during a flow or feed until they start drawing. Once they get the idea, they have to work for a living like me in my bee yard.
    americasbeekeeper.com

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
    I was reading about not putting foundation in frames.
    Does anyone do this and like or dislike it.
    Ben
    At the risk of sounding stuck in a rut, I've used foundation-less frames for close to 45 years. It's all my uncle whom I learned beekeeping from used; shoot, he built his own hives for years . They worked well for him and I've been satisfied with them. Never really had a problem extracting as long as the comb was attached properly. From time to time some cross-combing, but that's easy corrected and once you have combs started straight, the bees will keep it that way....usually. Neighbors around here always seem satisfied