Default A cloud of bee s will freak out a new bee keeper

Hello, I have had my super for a lil over a week. Just befor Dusk, 6 30 or so I see the hive getting very busy, evryone seems to want to come out. But Sunday around 630pm They did, and flew out and up. and seemed like they wanted to make a black cloud. I ran to my books and Im am thinking it was a Queen being mated. Please advise. and Ty in adavance for this site and your help. Jim Simmons Jacksonville Florida

Default Re: A cloud of bee s will freak out a new bee keeper

Even in Jacksonville the queen does not mate with her brothers. You are describing swarm behavior, but that is late in the day to swarm.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

if your hive was full of bees and honey I would say it's swarmed, the only other time I see bees looking like they are swarming is when a virgin leaves a nuc on her mating flight and a heap of bees leave with her just like a swarm the difference is they usually come back to the hive within a minute or so.

If you saw your bees leave and not come back then it's a swarm.

Thank you for your reply, The bee s dident stay out long, and came back. I dident know drones are the same a a queens brother. I guess I better hit the books somemore. I have opened the super and they still hane alot of room to build etc. Thanks again, for any futher comments.