Sad Beemax moisture problem

Has anyone had a problem with mildew in the Beemax hives ? I'm very new to beekeeping and purchased what I was led to believe was the latest technology. I assembled the hives, bought five frame nucs and they are thriving. When I opened the top to check on the sugar syrup it was full of mildew, I checked the other one and same thing to a lesser degree. I haven't checked the brood boxes but will this evening. Looking at the construction of the feeder there is no way for air to circulate and of course condensation forms and mildew attacks. I raised the lid with a couple 1/4 inch blocks so air can get in the feeder but no way to keep the ants out that way. I know the obvious answer is to trash them but does anyone have a fix for this ?

Default Re: Beemax moisture problem

>and purchased what I was led to believe was the latest technology.

Bees aren't big on technology...

I had a few and condensation was an issue for me.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsman View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with mildew in the Beemax hives ? I'm very new to beekeeping and purchased what I was led to believe was the latest technology.
    I let my son-in-law talk me into a couple of those about 3 years ago, complete hives, frames, supers. At first I thought it might just be me but after the second winter - here in my part of Arkansas winters can vary a lot - I moved everything out from them into wood boxes. It seemed it was was a lot more work keeping the bees dry in the beemax hives than in wooden ones. But that's just me...

Built my bottoms last nite will build top covers tonight and be ready to transfer Saturday. Anybody want to buy some slightly used Beemax equipment ?

Hey Scottsman, Go to search thread and search for post by "Mabe" , the post date is 11-21-2007 post #35. Mabe gives some great advice on improving ventilation and all around great advice on Bee Max hives. I followed all her recommendations and I'm happy I did. Thanks Mabe!

If these have screened bottom boards, open them up and leave the board off except to do mite counts. Use a screened inner cover also. That should help the moisture problem. We have woodware, but use screened inner covers and open bottom boards year round. We have not had a moisture problem since we went to this arrangement.

The design of the Beemax feeder does not allow for any air flow. Once the plastic divider is installed the brood box is sealed and air cannot move upward. Even a SHB can't get through. I drilled about 50 1/8th inch holes in the plastic to allow air flow. It helped but if the sugar syrup stays in the feeder for more than three days it begins to mildew. It's a great way to feed without disturbing the bees but I think more thought should be put into allowing air flow for those feeding in hot weather. It will be great this winter, I hope.

I hived a swarm in a beemax setup with screened bottom during the first week of April, and they've done just fine - drawn out 40 frames of foundation - it was a big swarm. No moisture problems, and no bearding yet (which I am seeing on other hives) We'll see how it works come winter. I don't have a feeder and I haven't fed them.

my styrafoam beemax feeder now has ventilation... because ants drilled their own holes right through near and along the tops!!! A contributing factor was my neglecting to monitor the feeder from being too busy and out of town. Learning from the mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsman View Post
    When I opened the top to check on the sugar syrup it was full of mildew,
    This may not be a Beemax problem. Sugar syrup will grow mold. regardless of the hive type. A 1:1 sugar/water mix will begin to spoil in a matter of days in our heat and humidity.....even in a wooden hive. How long was the syrup in the feeder?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards