Default Bucket of syrup feeder with pine needles

Has anyone used a large bucket of syrup in the middle of their apiary with pine needles (to prevent drowning) and just fed all your bees at one time this way? This seems to save a lot of work, but what are the circumstances in which to do this? Will it work for a new hive? What about pests? Will it work in the Fall?

Default Re: Bucket of syrup feeder with pine needles

I used to do this with a 55 gal drum cut in half years ago.The pine needles worked really good with very very few bees drowning.But why feed all the bees out there in the area that dont belong to you.

I am not aware of other bee hives near me, but maybe there are. What feeder do you recommend that is easier than feeding each individual hive, i.e. taking off each cover. This can get a bit daunting as you grow the apiary. Boardman is simple, but doesn't hold much in the middle of the Summer, and not good in Winder. Currently use Miller type, and like overall. Just trying to simplify as I grow the apiary.

What about a one or two gallon jar/bucket on a hole in the cover. I have several pictures from the teaching apiary at http://americasbeekeeper.org/Gallery.htm
    www.americasbeekeeper.com/2010_Gallery.htm
    http://www.americasbeekeeper.com/USFBG_2010_Gallery.htm
    You could even use a five gallon bucket but that is a lot of weight.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You could use the gal. size pickle jars with a hole in the top cover.Of course during swarm season you could just feed open pails with pine needles and set out some swarm traps.If there are some bees in small hollows they will start to fill up and you might get some swarms from them.If there are no other bees around your bees would be the only ones to benefit from the open feeding.

this is interesting. What do you do in the winter or when you are not feeding them?

Thanks for your response. How does swarm season, swarm traps, and open pails tie together here?

I've started using these top feeders (see the photo). Some advantages are that they hold more, and I don't have to wear a hat or veil - I just walk behind the hive open the lid, and pour the syrup inside. The bees access it through the top, but within their own hive - so there is no robbing. There is also wire inside for them to crawl on - so there is very very little drowning. The only problem I've had with them are it seems to take the bees longer to figure out there is syrup "up there," and I can't use them on my top bar hives - at least not until I build an adaptor.[IMG][/IMG]

I bought mine from bee-commerce.com - but I heard Walter Kelly has them cheaper.

Put sticks down in the straw and it will help prevent drowning even more.

"How does swarm season, swarm traps, and open pails tie together here?"
    Well when you start feeding and the hive starts to fill they will produce more bees as f a good nectar is going on.Then when things start to get crowded the swarm impulse will start.If then you have good baited traps ot you stand a chance of getting a swarm.The price you pay for some swarm lure plus a frame or two of old drawn comb is well worth the price of a good swarm.I have caught a swarm with almost every package of swarm lure plus a couple frames of old comb that I have ever used.$3.50for swarm lure is cheap for a swarm of bees.