Default When to place package in hive?

Hi All, I'm a newbee and I picked up my first three packages from Koenen and Sons, Inc. this morning (5-7-11). I'm starting out with langstroth hives. I was planning to put the packages in the hive this evening, thinking that the queen and bees were probably boxed up a few days ago. I forgot to ask when the bees were shaken...dumb. The packages came with instructions that said to wait at least 48 hours prior to putting the ladies in the hive. However, their website indicates that they usually package the bees that are picked up on site 1-2 days prior to the pickup date. I'd like to get them in the hive ASAP, so that they can start being productive, but I don't want to risk losing the queen having bees move into an alternate hive. Do I need to wait the 48 hours? or will the bees accept the queen by tomorrow night? I've decided to wait at least until then. Thanks for your input.
    Bob

Default Re: When to place package in hive?

Are the Queens in cages? If so the bees will release them in 1-5 days after you install the package. Would think that the bees where boxed on 5-6 or 5-5 so you should be able the hive them tomarrow. Good Luck and enjoy. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Thanks, Jim. The Queens are in cages. There were also a few dozen dead bees in each of the packages when I picked them up, which makes me think that they were shaken a few days ago. I've also been wondering if I should do a direct release of the Queens or if I should stuff a marshmallow in the hole and let the bees release the Queens. I've read Michael Bush's information and a few others that recommend a direct release. Thoughts?

A few dead bees are normal. The Queen cages have no candy behind the cork?If there is candy then I would allow the bees eat through the candy and release the Queen, if no candy then I would use the marshmellow. As for direct release I only do so after 4-5 days if the bees have not released her.
    But I'm sure there are other way of doing a release. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Actually, I'm not sure if there is candy behind the cork or not. I can't actually see the Queen's boxes because of the bees covering the box. I guess I'll have to wait until I open up the package. I appreciate your advice!

Hi,
    Sounds like you want to put the wooden package box in the hive. Most people hang the queen between two center frames, then shake all the bees out of the package into the hive. Although I have heard of a few people putting the box in the hive body.
    Dan

Koehnen's does not seem to put candy in their cages. I used a chunk of marshmallow for mine. It was a bit tricky to get the cork off, and the marshmallow in without dropping her into the boiling mass of bees.

I picked up 3 packages from Koehnen's April 16th and hived the next day in the rain. I also used the marshmallow trick, key was to have them ready to go before you pull the plug. I loosened the plug then when the queen was at the other end of the cage pulled it and inserted the marshmallows, helps if you have them in your hand when you pull the plug. Came back a week later to pull the queen cage and all was good on all three hives.

If the queen came inside the package (package is 3 or 4 days old) I would direct release

BEE HAPPY Jim 134