Default syrup soaked bees

I reveived my first two packages last night. I moved them inside because it was supposed to dip down into the 40's. This morning I noticed one package was leaking syrup. When I went to hive them today, I realized they were soaked as the syrup can had emptied into the package. I hived them as best as I could, but they were mostly in one great ball on the bottom board. I moved them around, but they were so soaked they would not even disperse enough to put the frames back in. SO, I've got 6 frames in that hive and a bunch of wet bees. Should I wait a week before opening and just replace the extra frames when I check the condition of my queen? I know I lost a lot of bees. I'm just hoping for the best for the survivors. The second package was in excellent condition and everybee is getting along well.
    Please tell me I'm not the first and your bees survived!

Default Re: syrup soaked bees

I would let your package supplier know what happened.

Although I have not had the experience of a sugar syrup soaked package, I would say that you have a 50/50 chance of them surviving. If the sugar syrup is heavy there is a good chance they will drown in it. If it is light syrup, they might be able to clean it up before any harm is done.

You are not the first, and a lot of them will die.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Contacted my supplier. He made it right almost overnight. He actually delivered a new package 2 days later. I got those guy installed that afternoon.
    On another note:
    Completed my first "inspection" of the hive that didn't die. WOW! They are well on their way. Found my queen. They are drawing out lots of comb and I expect to have to add my second deep next week. This is SO much fun!

Performed my second inspection of the hive that I had to replace. Still can't find the queen. This is the second inspection. Actually, I haven't seen her since I released her! They did not release her, I did after about 5 days. The temperament of the hive has improved considerably over the last 3 weeks. I did see larvae and some capped brood. I am frustrated that I can't spot the queen, especially since the head count right now is about the lowest it is ever going to be. Advice? Suggestions? I had two extra sets of adult eyes looking over my shoulder today too.

It is nice to see her but all that is important is that you see her work! Lots and lots of eggs.

Unless I am pulling frames to build a nuc or something, once I see eggs I no longer intently look for her.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries