Hybrid View

Default Want to get started the right way

Hi All,

This is Viktoriya this is my first year in bee keeping and I want to get started the right way.

We have tried to order some bees from long creek apiaries but have not received any response from them despite leaving multiple messages. Does anyone have any experience with them or know how to get ahold of them.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, Viktoriya

Default Re: Want to get started the right way

Welcome to the site!

I don't have any experience with Long Creek, so I can't help you there.

Can you explain what you mean by "the right way"? It's not a crack at you, I'm just curious what it means to you.

If you planned on starting hives form packages, most suppliers are sold out by this time of year. Try and locate beekeepers in your area and inquire about buying a Nucleus colony.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Welcome Viktoriya! Everyone thinks they are right, but only the bees are! You can be right or you can be happy.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thumbs Up Re: Want to get started the right way

For what it is worth, H&R Apiaries out of Georgia posted on facebook a couple of weeks ago that they had a few more packages. Look them up and give Ms. Pearl a call. I just hived a package from them AND ordered a seperate Italian Queen. Those are some very nice folks!
    "Death smiles at everyone. Marines smile back!"

Thanks everyone!
    What I meant by saying I want to get started right was that I realize the importance of starting with good stock to have less problems, I keep hearing good things about Russian Bees, them being resistant (to sertain degree) to Varroa and some other mites. I know its getting pretty late to order bees, but I am still hopefull. I am going to try to work with Top Bar Hives, so my understanding is that packaged bees are better option than nucs installation vise?
    I also want to thank everyone for the warm welcome and responce. If anyone has any kind of advice I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks, misslechunker for the referral, I will definately research H&R Apiaries!
    Also, did anyone have any experience with Honey Bee Genetics? Their website looks promising...

To get started the right way find the local beekeepers org and join. They will help with advice from your area.
    Old Guy in Alabama