Angry Top entrance made by modifying inner cover

OK, thought I would create a top entrance for the bees for easy access to the supers (and also for additional ventilation). Now I thought I read where it's posible to simply modify the inner cover by removing a section of the inner cover shim, so I used a router and now a one-inch section of the shim is gone. I put it back on top of the super with the opening side down. The telescoping cover is loose enough that allows a small gap so that bees should be able to use the new entrance.

The problem is the bees would rather propolize this entrance closed. What is wrong?

Default Re: Top entrance made by modifying inner cover

Nothing. That is what happens sometimes. I build top entrances along the lines of 'All-season Inner covers'. Maybe 5% of my hives propolize it shut. I let the bees decide what they want.

Sometimes they do what THEY want not what we wantI have two hives in my back yard, one uses the upper entrance as much or more than the lower and the other hive flat refuses to use the upper. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

I also modify the inner cover Although I route out 4 inches. I also put a couple of screws in the front edge to hold the telescoping cover up to expose the entrance and screen the center hole to discourage burr comb building on the raised cover. Of the 3 hives I did this to, 2 took to it right away. The third doesn't have a clue. I expect this to change as I start reducing the bottom entrance. Bees will be bees.