Default community gardens/vandalism

Hi All:
    Just curious if any of you have a hive in a community garden and if so, do you have any issues with vandalism?

Default Re: community gardens/vandalism

I have 23 at the USF Botanical Gardens right now. We had a problem with teenagers trying to knock the covers off a couple years ago. I use a ratchet strap to tie the hive together and to the stand. We have not had a problem since. There are also wild creatures of the night leaving tracks around the hives. Straps are keeping them out too.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

This was last year in San Francisco, urban community garden.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAPE1EIMEH.DTL

We're donating a hive to the La Grange Community Gardens (http://lagrangecommunitygardens.com) - we'll give those straps a try!

Get the local kids involved in the garden and they should help protect it because of self pride. Put lighting in from a pole if ya can. If you do have a vandalism problem more than once, use a game trail camera hidden to capture images as it is often normally only a few that would vandalize and once you catch that few it helps prevent further vandalism for a while. Any natural surveillance is good (i.e. people living, working or walking in the area. If the view looking into the garden is blocked by taller bushes and removal of the shade or not needed to get the bees to fly higher is not an issue then trim them back. If after a while you find unwanted people coming in after dark or whatever from an approach that cannot easily be seen then plant some large rose bushes in the path.

Your police department may have a community policing or crime prevention officer and can give ya more ideas to help prevent vandalism or catch those that do it. Most police departments don't mind giving advise before the problem happens.

I like the idea of strapping them down and would also think a lock in the strap would be a good idea although they could cut it if they happened to have brought the tools with them to do it.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

I've got two at our local community gardens. The land is owned by the County Sheriff's department, and is across the street from the prison, so, no vandals yet, but it's just their first year there. There's a sign board at the gardens where I posted my contact info should anyone see any thing shady. When I was bringing in the nucs the gardeners were very excited, asking questions, and generally glad to have the hives nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by stripstrike View Post
    I've got two at our local community gardens. The land is owned by the County Sheriff's department, and is across the street from the prison, so, no vandals yet, but it's just their first year there. There's a sign board at the gardens where I posted my contact info should anyone see any thing shady. When I was bringing in the nucs the gardeners were very excited, asking questions, and generally glad to have the hives nearby.
    I'm glad to have noticed this thread. Yet another place to look at putting hives. Hope it is not considered off topic, but what do you do to prevent folks working in the garden from stings and such, given the attitude of bees at different times. You all got me thinking about finding a few community gardens for hives but would want two hives minimum there so I could swap resources between hives.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Keeping a hive in a community garden is a requirement for the Florida Master Beekeeper Program. It leads to teaching everyone that visits or works at the garden about bees. We also have signs around the apairy. From a swarm caught on campus, we now have monthly bee workshops.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com