Default A tale of Two Packages

Ordered two packages from Koehnens. When they got here, one was DOA. All bees dead. The other was in a different shipment and arrived in fine shape. Installed them my hive with no problems this afternoon. Not sure what to do about the dead package. Gonna call Koehnens tomorrow for advice. How is this normally handled with most bee suppliers?

Default Re: A tale of Two Packages

In most cases the packages are insured by through the USPS but once you accept it, it is yours and the insurance cannot be claimed. I guess at this point all you can do is contact the seller and maybe they will be nice enough to give you a replacement package next year. I think the chances of getting one this year are slim due to how late it is. It never hurts to ask though. Good Luck

Last I spoke to Koehnen's[needed Queen replacement-not accepted:killed by package], I was told stock would be available until the end of May...things may have changed since; I'd call immediately, especially if they arrived dead! This was 4 weeks ago...

Good luck! I found Koehnen's to be very generous and helpful.

Spoke to them this morning. They told me ALL of the bees they shipped on that date arrived dead. They were dead before they got to the UPS distribution center, so it must have been some sort of shipping problem on their end. They will be re-shipping to me on Monday. So far I am more than pleased with their service. I am sure we will hear from other Beeks about this problem in the next week or so.

I got my packages from koehnens this year. THey were great and arrived on time. Glad they are helping you out.

FYI there was no candy in the queen cages so i had to direct release all of them. They are all doing fine.

I put a marshmallow in the hole after I removed the cork.

I'm going to call them and see if they have any packages left to ship. I'd rather not wait until late may for Hardeman's.
    Last edited by Dan in PA; 05-06-2011 at 09:29 PM.