Default Do you think I may have lucked out?

My fault. . .I didn't checkerboard this year with the intention of splitting. Then I didn't split! So the other day I had a swarm. . .a really big swarm. . .that landed in the usual wax myrtle conveniently 5' off the ground. I watched them leave the hive and land, but unfortunately had no time to capture them since I had to go pick my husband up from work! It was a cloudy day and after 4 pm and I didn't think they'd leave until today, but just in case, I put a box full of drawn comb directly under them and baited it with lemongrass oil. They took immediate notice and I went on my way. When I got home they were gone except for a very few on the scent the queen probably left and another few flying around the box. I peeked in the box to make sure they weren't in there. They weren't!

But when I went out there this morning, I noticed that there were quite a few bees that looked like they were "scouting" the box like Dr. Seeley describes. By this afternoon, there were even more! I'm hoping they merely moved to another, warmer spot for the night, but are now seriously considering the home I'm offering. What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Do you think I may have lucked out?

Who knows what they'll do.
    But when i set out a swarm lure box last year with old drawn comb frames, there were tons of bees scouting in and out of it all Spring, but never moved in. I think they were just eating the little particles of old pollen or whatever was leftover deep in the comb cells. they liked the lemongrass oil scent too. But they never moved in. They could have merely been foragers, not swarm scouts.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

It seems most likely to be scouts from a different hive. I think the original swarm has relocated already.

So Tia, any further reports? Did they move on?
    Mil Apostol - Chef, Beekeeper, Gardener, Forager, and Geocacher
    http://www.UrbanFarmAndBeehives.com

The swarm probably went to another home and what you are seeing is scout bees from somewhere else.Leave it right there because there is some interest in it and you may end up with a new swarm.

Nothing yet. They're still checking it out, but they're also checking out the spot where the swarm landed, i.e., queen pheromone. Who knows. I'll wait and hope.