Default packages -Adding boxes below the brood box on langstroth

I've got several packages that are building up nicely, They are sluggish in moving up to the second box. I have read about this being troublesome. THey are starting to build a lot of bur comb between frames. I run foundationless so there is a big empty space there.

I know you can move brood frames up to get them to cross. Last year I just moved a bunch of brood frames up which worked fine, but i was hoping to not disturb them if i can.

Has anyone tried adding new boxes below so that the bees essentially build downward similar to the Warre ideas? I would still super for honey boxes, but i was wondering if this would be an easier way to add boxes to the brood chamber without having to add frames to get them to move up. Did you get less burr comb between boxes?

Default Re: packages -Adding boxes below the brood box on langstroth

The only downsides of putting them below are you have to lift the box and it's hard to tell when it's almost full. Otherwise, it works better. If the weather is cold, I'd put the new box below. If the weather is warm at night, I'd move two drawn combs up into the top box for a ladder and for bait.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Re: packages -Adding boxes below the brood box on langstroth

thanks very much! I kinda thought that would be the case but wanted to ask the more experienced beeks like yourself. Were still getting into low-mid 30s at night so I'll add to the bottom. I added a shredded cedar quilt box on top and it is amazing how warm they keep it and no problems with condensation anymore