Default Is it EVER going to warm up?

It's been steadily cold and wet here and it just won't let up. The bees have been hanging tight - but they could really use some sun and warmth for a change. They can't even break cluster much at the moment. Doing everything they can to keep brood warm.

Another day in the 40's today. Totally a foggy mist all day - chilled to the bone.

Anyone seeing a break down south? Are people finding it to be a slow spring?

Adam

Default Re: Is it EVER going to warm up?

No. Farmers almanac says cold wet summer for us. My wife is getting antsy about the garden and this year we have a green house.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

its 97 degrees Fahrenheit here right now ...

Friend in the New England area told me it finally warmed up there. Hope it is moving your way. And his from Florida so takes a lot for him to say it warmed up.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

It has been one of the longest winter of my life and it is just now starting to have a few temperate days here at about 48 degree Latitude. I fear we are just returning to the norm. People seem to want to forget that we are still in the Pleistocene Epoch. It has been warming and cooling like this for 1.8 million years.

Pleistocene Epoch - going to have to google that word.. HAHA
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley_Bee View Post
    ...97 degrees..here right now ...
    Sweet. It DOES exist. Thanks. My rear end feels frozen in the Pleistocene Epoch.

Here in South Dakota it seems like this has been the coldest/windiest spring in memory. But it's also my first spring with bees so I may just be paying more attention.

The 10 day forecast finally doesn't have any highs in the 40's in it. I think the warmup is finally starting here. Hang in there!

We're probably close to 1/2 done with our flow - time to drag the bees to Nova Scotia?
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by hoodswoods View Post
    ...time to drag the bees to Nova Scotia?
    Perfect! I need more bees to form a good cluster... Yeah, here in NS the trees are just beginning to bud and grass is just getting green. The pussy willows are in bloom and the tulips and dandilions are yet to begin. Flow is long here once it starts.

Adam

I'll trade you some 90 degree weather for some moisture. It hit 90+ about 14 days in April, but only about .10" rain. We are desperately behind on rain and blooming is practically non-existent, except for prickly pears and mesquites.

Let's make a deal. I'll trade you gas for water.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

On the way to work this morning I saw this scary orange orb in the sky. I recall seeing this thing before, but it was so long ago. The rains have been nonstop, or so it seems. The temp this morning was 37 degrees and there was frost and a very heavy fog. It was odd how that orange orb seemed to provide some warmth and cut through the fog.

Our Spring and the bees appear to be about 2 weeks behind here in NY as well. Windy, rainy, grey and chilly much of the time. We don't even have drones in my area yet!
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    On the way to work this morning I saw this scary orange orb in the sky. I recall seeing this thing before, but it was so long ago. The rains have been nonstop, or so it seems. The temp this morning was 37 degrees and there was frost and a very heavy fog. It was odd how that orange orb seemed to provide some warmth and cut through the fog.
    Went to Kentucky for a wedding couple of weeks ago. You have a beutiful state and hope to go back again. Nice thing about the trip was that I only had to drive through one storm. Bad thing was that same storm followed me from Kansas City and then part of it followed me back from Kentucky. Wow - bad tornado damage there is St. Louis. Was glad to get away from the river in Louisville because it looked like it was going to be a problem. Was hoping the weather was going to be warming in Kentucky but quessed wrong.

Going to be in the 20's tonight. Like others....cold and wet spring in New England. Getting tired of it also. The build up is really slow.

I made a nuc up Monday and it has been in the living room until the capped brrod hatches. They would be done for tonight with the cold.

The wife thinks I have lost my mind to have bees in the house.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Michae B View Post
    Going to be in the 20's tonight. Like others....cold and wet spring in New England. Getting tired of it also. The build up is really slow.
    I made a nuc up Monday and it has been in the living room until the capped brrod hatches. They would be done for tonight with the cold.
    MichaeB, do you have drones flying there yet in eastern MA?
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

No drones yet. Getting mighty close though. Saw capped drones 10 days or so ago.

Check that.

First drones today.

I saw 1 drone leave the hive yesterday. I'm in Southern NJ. Finally seeing extended days of 70F + in the forcast. 50's at night.