Sad No queen, bad timing, need advice

I have had an interesting experience installing my first package of bees about a week ago exactly. It was a lovely day when I put them in the hive and then over the course of the next few days it snowed in New Mexico and was windy so I didn't see much of them at all. I received my new package at a strange time not really of my picking through a beekeeping class and kind of hoped they would do ok because I have to leave town for a wedding this weekend and won't be here to check on them.

I went to the hive yesterday afternoon (after almost a week after installing the new bees) and found my queen dead in her cage. Maybe from the cold, but I'm not sure. My heart sank . I called my beekeeping instructor and he said he would call his 'queen guy' in California to see if he could get me a queen overnight to arrive on Thursday (which would be difficult to do this time of year). He told me he'd let me know what's up today (Wednesday), but I haven't heard from him so I'm expecting I won't see that new queen tomorrow morning. I'm supposed to leave town tomorrow night. The hive has no queen, but the rest of the bees seem to be working and active. I don't get back until the 15th. Are there any other options or solutions here if I can't get a queen before I leave? I'm afraid I might just have to change my travel plans, which will be costly and uncertain, but I certainly don't want to give up on my new hive. They have been in there for a week without a queen already. Any advice would be so appreciated!

Default Re: No queen, bad timing, need advice

This is just a suggestion. If you can find someone close by that you can combine your bees with theirs and then when you get a queen take some bees back. Are you in a club?
    If you are traveling a lot you may need some help in the beginning to get started or at least past the critical stage.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Can you find someone with a frame of brood/eggs? If so, put it in there and let the bees do their thing. Maybe even ask for a frame with a promise to pay back with a frame when your bees get going good? Hope it works out.

I had a similar problem in that two of my queens died and now I have two laying worker hives. Hopefully the weather tomorrow will be warm enough I can shake them into some other hives, since I dont have frames of brood I can spare to get them going again.

Thank you for all of these responses. I am still working on a solution and just hoping and praying it will work out today so I'll be able to keep to the travel plan. The BIG lesson I have learned is that it helps to have connections with other beekeepers as a novice beekeeper and I wish I had made these connections BEFORE I installed my hives. It helps to have online web sources, podcasts, books, etc. But when it comes down to it, it certainly is helpful to have someone nearby you can call. I only really know one other person and that is my beekeeping teacher. He is very helpful, but I think having a couple of established connections when you're starting out is a must. Also, the next time I install a hive I'm going to make sure I have weeks clear afterwards to be around until it is established. I'm certainly learning my lesson.

RandyMM I'm going to try out your suggestion and see if he has any brood I could use.

LittleStinger, Please keep me posted on your progress with this. I am afraid if I can't get a queen or brood that my future is looking much like your current situation!