Default Leaving honey for winter

So I've determined that I am going to leave a full 8 frame medium super of honey on the hive for winter(I am using all 8 frame mediums). Once that super is almost full, should I put another super on top of it or below it to get surplus honey?

Also, in the spring when the queen is done laying in that super I left on and moves down, or up if I reverse, into another box can I use that same super for their winter honey supply again?

Default Re: Leaving honey for winter

On top. Yes.

A super is a super to bees! It does not matter where we put it, what color we paint it, or what foundation or lack of we provide, a super is a super!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Wrong again, Am Be. It may be almost true in your area, but in most of this big country, it makes a big difference. Where we have winter, the overwintered colony does not emerge from winter with wax-making capability. Typically, that capability is developed just before "main flow".
    Walt

Quote Originally Posted by SRatcliff View Post
    Once that super is almost full, should I put another super on top of it or below it to get surplus honey?
    Better not to wait until the first super is almost full.

Nectar is 85% water while honey is almost 85% sugar. All that water in the nectar has volume. They need nearly two supers of nectar storage space to store one super of honey. If that space isn't overhead, where do you think the nectar will go? In the broodnest...one of the main triggers for swarming.