Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This beek says honey DOES go bad

I'm not sure what she means by "go bad", but this doesn't seem accurate at first glance. Does anyone have experience with honey going bad? I can't recall anytime that honey stored under normal and proper conditions has gone bad.

The important thing to remember, Hens said, is that once honey is pasturized (heated higher than about 105 degrees) or filtered, it is no longer beneficial because the pollen granules have been removed. Basically the more unadulterated and fresher, the better.

"Another mythology is that honey doesn't go bad but the truth is it does. When you buy honey for theraputic purposes, you want it to be as fresh as possible," Hens said. "The longer its been heated or the longer its been sitting around those (health) properties are no longer attached to it."

http://hcfpn.advisen.com/?resource_i...1783025461#top

(and the word is "myth", not "mythology"...)
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Default Re: This beek says honey DOES go bad

Hmmm.

Well, my immediate reaction involves the language used here. 'The longer it's been sitting around, those (health) properties are no longer attached to it,' seems to imply a slow decrease in efficacy. 'Go bad' would seem to imply spoilage, rotting, decay, molding, etc.

My understanding was, that since honey is anaerobic, it inhibits the mold growth, etc., that is associated with spoilage -- one reason it is popular as a burn wound dressing.

My personal experience has been that pasteurized honey tends to granulate more slowly, but that is not spoilage. But I have had customers assume that granulation is a sign of spoilage.

Perhaps they meant to say that once 'filtered, it is no longer [as] beneficial . . .'

Poor wording combined with fuzzy logic and over-firm opinions?

Summer

Sounds like she is making a lot of assumptions with little info to back up her statements. As Summer 1052 has seen, I have also had customers horrified when I tell them that that granulated honey they threw away was not spoiled as they assumed.
    I also wonder what health benefits she was talking about. Was she using it for burn treatment or allergy relief? Each of them would rely on a different component of the honey.

Considering the Authors agenda, what should one expect? She may think she knows what she is talking about, but, imo, she is full of hot air. There are no health benefits in honey that one will miss by not getting them from honey. I have never met or heard of anyone who had to eat honey for its healthful properties.

Ever hear of the healthful benefits or properties of Sugar?

Makes me wonder about the Editor of the Paper when they use parentheses instead of brackets to insert words. Not very professional, imo.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 05-04-2011 at 02:38 PM.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I sell a lot of honey because doctors have told patients that regularly eating local, unprocessed honey helps alleviate allergies.

Allergists? Or GPs? Just because they aree MDs doesn't necassarily mean they know what they are talking about. On the otherhand, what harm can a tsp of honey every day do? It makes the persoin feel better because they believe they are doing themselves good and also the bees. But, maybe I'm full of hot air. Who knows?
    Mark Berninghausen

I have had very good sucess in reducing my summer allergys by eating my honey. My allergys were so bad that I was ready to go to the dr and get tested. after taking honey almost every day for a year or so I noticed last summer I had no allergys what so ever. I believe the honey fixed them. I do believe the fresh honey with fresh pollen in it is better but it is just my opinion. I do know that fresh honey from the comb sure tastes the best since its not mixed with so many differn't nectar sources.

I sell a lot of honey because doctors have told patients that regularly eating local, unprocessed honey helps alleviate allergies.
    If you have allergies and the honey makes you feel better will you thank the doctor or will you listen to what Mark says?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I don't know why you want to start fights here.

Is it cause and effect?
    Is it the passage of time?
    Is it the placebo effect?
    Are you allergic to thje pollen in the honey?
    Maybe it isn't the honey.
    How many of you who sell honey to allergy sufferers make health claims on your honey jars?
    Why not?
    Mark Berninghausen

Had numerous bottles ferment last year. I'd say that's honey that has gone bad.

Most people's allergies are a result of wind-blown-pollination. Since honey bees don't forage wind-blown-pollination plants, your average person will not benefit from honey consumption as a means of allergy medication. At least this is what Dr. Tarpy (entomologist and beekeeping scientist from NC State University) claims.
    ...This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.

Exactly a point I have made a number of times. Countered by folks who claim that a small dose of any form of pollen causes the body to build antigins that help one cope w/ other pollens that one is allergic to. But, I think antigins are more specific than that.

Just to be a stickler, you meant "pollen", not "pollination". Wind born pollen, pollen born by the wind.
    Mark Berninghausen

I do not make claims that my honey has health benefits. My understanding is that , form a legal standpoint, I am not qualified to tell people it will help with anything. I can however talk about my personal experiences. I have HORRIBLE allergies and was medicated heavily for large portions of my life. The allergies were much reduced when I started including more honey in my diet and now use it as the major sweetener in my cooking. I have been unmedicated for allergies for 3 years now. If I quit using the honey, my allergies return.

Ever have any go bad?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Countered by folks who claim that a small dose of any form of pollen causes the body to build antigins that help one cope w/ other pollens that one is allergic to.
    I think there's something to that. Since I started drinking raw milk from pastured cows a couple years ago, I no longer get spring hay fever. Not even a hint of it. In the spring, you can taste the grass in the milk.

Quote Originally Posted by theriverhawk View Post
    Had numerous bottles ferment last year. I'd say that's honey that has gone bad.
    Nah, there's some folks in Alabama that will take it, mix a little warm water and yeast with it, and in a couple of weeks it will be good, but just in a different form!!!

I don't think honey will ferment unless you add water. However if you extracted nectar with the honey it may ferment.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Honey can collect enuf moisture from the air to cause fermintation to start, especially in crystalizing honey. Honey is hygroscopic. It is always trying to completre a water molecule. So, Acebird, no water need be added.
    Mark Berninghausen

Berninghausen just hit it. A not completely inverted and evaporated honey may crystallize, further raising the moisture content of the uncrystallized remains. This can ferment and then the alcohol can even convert to acetic acid aka vinegar. Either one would be " bad ".

I may not know much, but, quite often, it is enuf.
    Mark Berninghausen