Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What is this?

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Claudia80 
#1 ·
What is this insect?

I'm sorry the picture is so blurry but I was having a very hard time getting a cheap camrea to focus so close. Is this a pest bug and should I try and get rid of them? If so how should I?
I have already gotten rid of aphids with back walnut husk water. It worked wonders! I really do not want to use anything that will affect any pollinators that come around.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a little blurry, but if it is not moving I'm pretty sure it's a ladybug pupa. If you had aphids on that plant, that's even more compelling evidence, since ladybugs are beneficial insects that eat nothing but aphids.

#5 ·
Yep, that's a ladybug, and they are your friends. I can't believe you've never seen them before. :scratch:

You can also "trap crop" aphids. I keep a patch of arugula and let it reseed every year. Aphids seem to prefer it to everything else I grow, so that's the only place I see them.

#10 ·
It's not the larvae. Ladybug larvae are longer, darker with only a bit of color and appear more like an alligator than a VW bug. There's no mistaking them.

In my old home state of NY, the nine-spotted ladybug is the state insect. It is nearly extinct now, being crowded out by the introduced, non-native Asian ladybug.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.