Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A fairly simple question.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Growing Boy 
#1 ·
So after many delays I have finally got my 2 nucs in their hives. Installed the first one about five days ago. The foragers from the hived nuc immediately boosted the non-installed nuc so that it went from mediocre to booming over night. Installed that nuc yesterday and all chaos ensued. Nobody quite knew where to go. After quite a cool night for this time of year (45 degrees) all is quiet. It should be quite interesting once it warms up to see how they've distributed themselves. (They are all pretty much sisters after all). Now to the question.
These nucs were busting at the seams. (On installation I did not notice any swarm cells or supersedure, just 5, really heavy, picture pefect frames of capped and uncapped brood, pollen, honey and wall to wall bees.) Just how long do you think it'll take these girl to pull 5 more frames of foundation and make it time to add the next brood box. I'm not feeding them. We still (bless the rain) have a flow going on.
My guess is 10 to 14 days. Yes I will have to monitor them but I'm just thinking ballpark.

#4 ·
If the flow is on, less than 10 days, but you need the second brood box on once they get wax on 7 to 8 frames. Don't want to take the chance on pinching them for space if the weather sets in and you can't open the hive for a few days. BTW, it's usally a good idea to put a feeder on a new introduced nuc to allow them to use the sugar water to make the wax instead of your nectar and it's always a good time to treat for nosema.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.