Default A fairly simple question.

So after many delays I have finally got my 2 nucs in their hives. Installed the first one about five days ago. The foragers from the hived nuc immediately boosted the non-installed nuc so that it went from mediocre to booming over night. Installed that nuc yesterday and all chaos ensued. Nobody quite knew where to go. After quite a cool night for this time of year (45 degrees) all is quiet. It should be quite interesting once it warms up to see how they've distributed themselves. (They are all pretty much sisters after all). Now to the question.
    These nucs were busting at the seams. (On installation I did not notice any swarm cells or supersedure, just 5, really heavy, picture pefect frames of capped and uncapped brood, pollen, honey and wall to wall bees.) Just how long do you think it'll take these girl to pull 5 more frames of foundation and make it time to add the next brood box. I'm not feeding them. We still (bless the rain) have a flow going on.
    My guess is 10 to 14 days. Yes I will have to monitor them but I'm just thinking ballpark.

Default Re: A fairly simple question.

If it's warm enough to work, I'd say they could do that in less than 10. But somewhere around there. My experience is based on no foundation.

That's my guess.

Adam

More than that....there is no flow here or in marshall.....if you feed MAYBE...remember there has to be both 8 frames of bees and brood...not just brood b4 you add the next box...when in doubt do not add a super....no reason to make them bust out right now...
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

If the flow is on, less than 10 days, but you need the second brood box on once they get wax on 7 to 8 frames. Don't want to take the chance on pinching them for space if the weather sets in and you can't open the hive for a few days. BTW, it's usally a good idea to put a feeder on a new introduced nuc to allow them to use the sugar water to make the wax instead of your nectar and it's always a good time to treat for nosema.

The plan is to let them settle in for a week, check them and make a decision on feed.
    There is a bit of a flow here. Magnolia and Catawba (or Catalpa) are in bloom plus from what I hear they are working my neighbor's 2 acres of vegetables pretty hard. I do notice they are bringing in lots of pollen.