Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calvert, Md,USA
    Posts
    1,701

    Default I guess I screwed this up


    Going through one of the hives and found some capped swarm/superedure cells. The hive next to it has had a failing queen. I had just been in that hive. I looked and looked but could not find her. I did see a small area with eggs. I looked some more. No luck. My eye sight is not so good. The eggs looked to me like they were in the bottom of the cell upright. I decided to transfer a frame that had two nice capped queen cells into that hive. Cell protectors were an after thought. Have I just wasted two QCs and back to square one with that hive?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Concord, CA
    Posts
    4,163

    Default Re: I guess I screwed this up

    Not necessarily, If the bees agree with you that the queen needs to be replaced, the cells might be protected.
    Although if the bees agreed with you they might have already gotten rid of her.
    Dan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sacramento,California,USA
    Posts
    3,789

    Default Re: I guess I screwed this up

    I think the cells may very well emerge. If they do and there is an old queen in the hive, I think one of the virgins are all that will remain after a time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calvert, Md,USA
    Posts
    1,701

    Default Re: I guess I screwed this up

    Thanks,
    After I finished lamenting, I realized the reason for cell protectors was for a QC added to a frame. The house bees likely would perceive it as foreign and remove it. I'm optimistic.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads