Default Nuc drone layer - why?

The queen in one of my overwintered nucs is laying only drones in worker cells. Iíll give her another week and if there is no change Iíll combine with another nuc.
    My questions is Ė why? What is the reason for her to become drone layer? This was the best queen last summer, she was laying in beautiful pattern, the nuc made it trough the winter in good condition. But now only drones? I would appreciate any input about what could have caused it?

Thank you.

Default Re: Nuc drone layer - why?

Are you sure it is the same queen? Was she marked or clipped?

The queen was from last summer graft, open mated, not marked or clipped. She developed that nuc from July to Oct in very nice fashion. A lot of bees, they packed the nuc with pollen and syrup honey. Only sugar dusting for mites. There was still brood, when last time I checked in November. The nuc survived the winter, and appears to be healthy, no signs of nosema. I didn’t get a chance to check for new brood until April, but since the beginning of April all brood is drone brood.
    Is there a chance that she will start laying worker brood again?

If I were to guess I would say that she may have been superceded early in the spring. When the daughter queen was hatched there were no drones in the area to mate with because it was too early in the year. It would seem doubtful that a queen less than a year old would all of a sudden run out of sperm. Usually it is a bit more gradual of a decline.

Mosherd is right. The original queen was replaced for one reason or another, and her replacement either did not have any drones to mate with, or missed the window of opportunity to make mating flights due to poor weather... either way, she is a dud and will not start laying worker brood... you will need to replace her... sorry to bring bad news.

Yesterday I removed the bad queen, and did the newspaper combine with another nuc. Let's wait and see ...

Thank you for your help.

If a new queen mates too late she will be a drone layer. If an old queen runs out of sperm, she will be a drone layer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF