Default Delayed Queen Release - Too Cold?? How Long??

I just installed my first package on Saturday afternoon (4/30). My mentor uses what I'll call the "controlled release method" for the queen, i.e., he doesn't remove any cork until 4 to 5 days after her cage is put in the hive, and then, on the 4th or 5th day, he goes in, makes sure the bees aren't acting aggressive toward the cage, pops the cork, puts his finger over the hole, puts the cage down, covers the hive partially (to create darkness, and so she doesn't fly away) and then waits a few minutes for her to just slip into the hive.

Now my real question. Today (Wed.) is the 4th day after installation, and I planned on doing the release after work. But it's going to be in the mid 50's here. Is that too cold for me to release her? Problem is, if I don't do it today, I won't be able to release her until Friday, because I'm traveling on business (wish I could beekeep all day, but alas). That would be 6 days. Supposed to be in the 60s then. Would that be too long for her to safely wait to be released?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Delayed Queen Release - Too Cold?? How Long??

Let her out ASAP

JMHO

Tommyt

I think mid-50s will be fine. I picked up my package on a mid 30-degree snowy day here and they recommended I go ahead and install that day as long as there was no wind.

mid 50's is plenty warm enough. It isn't like the cage is going to be warmer.

What is the thought process behind waiting so long to release the queen? I've seen some packages with eggs laid by the 5th day.
    Backyard beekeeping and honey bees.
    www.BlueLineApiary.com

I think the idea behind the 5-day release is to make sure she's accepted -- but what do I know! Thanks for the advice - will release her this afternoon.

I can see the 5 day release with requeening under less than optimal conditions. With a package I direct release when I put the bees in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ditto

Update: released her yesterday afternoon with no problem at all. She slipped into the hive and I closed it up. Cross your fingers that all is well! Such fun.