Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Calienti, hot wax dipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Wow, hold on to the pony for a second. I built a double wall tank with a chimny
    Keith, what type of fluid is inside the double wall? How hot, how much time?

Must have some sort of expansion tank as well?

BMAN did you decide how to insulate the outside of the tank? I wrapped my tank (55 gal drum) in fiberglass batting. It saved me from a couple boil overs by soaking up the froth before it ran down the side of the tank and hit the heater bands, but it's obviously not what you're looking for. I'm sure you could find some high-temp insulation paneling...something that you can clean, in case hot wax drips on it and then it turns flammable.

I mentioned this before in a different thread. I used some blocks of candle wax remnants from a candle factory for some of my dipping. Paraffin but with perfume and coloring added to it. I found that this wax was much, much foamier than pure white paraffin. Once it reached a certain temp and the steam started coming out of the wood, the froth would keep rising in the tank just like the head on a beer, and I'd have to turn down the temperature. The perfumes etc. seemed to make the bursting tension of the bubbles much higher so the foam was a big issue. Never had that problem with clean white paraffin.

Lightbulb Re: Calienti, hot wax dipping!

Quote Originally Posted by acbz View Post
    Must have some sort of expansion tank as well?
    ACBZ, Paraffin wax in tank, I run run the temp at 325, takes about an hour to heat up & we cycle the boxes about every 4-5 minutes (three at a time). We also built an over flow safety, so that if it did over flow it will drain into a half barrel.

Cheap,fast,simple!
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

The fluid is hot air from the chimney. Here again the more surface area the better. If you were to look at an industrial boiler you would see that the exhaust gasses run through a bunch of tubes that go through a tank of water. In this case you would want the tubes to go through a tank of wax. If you used standard boiler tubes like 2 inch dia you could get 6 or 8 going horizontally across the bottom of the tank. Putting in a double or triple layer adds much more area. The layers should be staggered.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    The fluid is hot air from the chimney. Here again the more surface area the better.
    Apparently you also took heat transfer and fluid dynamics in college. Good job. I believe Mr. Jarrett builds the fire directly under his tank and the chimney routes the smoke away from the apparatus. He's got pictures of his tank in one of his online albums. I like the idea of using scrap wood as a heat source, as long as there is no way a boil over would ever reach the flames.
    Hot spots weren't really an issue for me for two reasons. One, the heater bands are an evenly distributed heat source. And two, you'll find that there is quite a bit of bubbling which leads to mixing. I had a digital thermocouple that I would dangle into the tank every so often. About a 20 degree max. difference from hottest to coolest inside the tank. For the purposes of wax dipping, a hot spot isn't really a problem anyway. It's not baking.
    I've seen some people use heating elements from electric stoves as the heat source.
    I dipped mine at around 280 F for about an hour each batch of unassembled pieces, or until the steam stopped coming out of the wood (until the wax stopped bubbling).
    One more thing, BMAN. I found that at the higher dipping temps, the wax only penetrates into the wood about 1 mm or less. Apparently the steam coming out of the wood pores prevents the wax from soaking in. I left a few batches in the tank after I'd turned off the heat and quit for the day. When I pulled them out the next morning, they had soaked up a TON of wax...really too much, way too heavy. I guess after the temp came down the wood sucked in the wax like crazy. Maybe it has something to do with the permeability of the wood pores over different temperature?
    Randy Oliver says he dips his for a minute or less at about 315 F and they last for years. So I don't think the wax needs to penetrate very deeply for the protective effect.
    There's a great pamphlet published out of Australia that details all the best practices for hot wax dipping. You can Google for it I think.

I like the idea of using scrap wood as a heat source, as long as there is no way a boil over would ever reach the flames.
    Don't put the fire directly under the tank. Put it off to the side and direct the flue gases horizontal through the tank. In case of an emergency have a damper that you can open so the flue gases get directed straight up which will cut the heat to the tank without stomping out the fire.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Big Grin Re: Calienti, hot wax dipping!

Hey Guys, were not trying to build a rocket ship here, just trying to melt some wax. Yes the fire is directly underneath.
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 05-10-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: cant spell, and it's not even happy hour yet
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements