Default newbee from south ontatio, canada

hello from canada. i've been bitten by the bee bug and built 3 KTBHs in the last two months. Nucs coming in a couple weeks-whenever dandelions start. spring is very late this year. I attended a workshop saturday with bee yard lessons on may 14. i discovered from my mom and an auntie that 3 and 4 generations back, my folks were beekeepers. i guess it's in my levis-i mean genes.
    this forum is really cool, i've learned a few things already. thank you to all posters, past and future.
    Question-do or can aromatic plants near hives repel or somehow control SHB and varroa?

Question-does lawn mower noise disturb bees to point of defending their area?

"when the student is ready, the teacher will appear"

Default Re: newbee from south ontatio, canada

Welcome, I have never seen the bees influenced by plantings. Running engines can disturb defensive colonies. Bees can become defensive when under nourished, attacked or threatened regularly by bears, racoons, other animals.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: newbee from south ontatio, canada

i didn't mean influence the bees. i meant plants to be used as repellant to SHB, varroa, wax moth . kind of like using cedar chests to keep woolens in or using softwood shavings for bedding livestock as flea/mite/tick control.