Default from a treelog to a hive

How do you put a colony from a treelog ( traditional hive in the Dominican Republic) into a langstroth hive

Greetings

Johan

Default Re: from a treelog to a hive

I cut the comb out with a long knife or machete if I can reach it. If i cannot reach the comb, I cut the log in half lenghtwise.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Cut the combs out and trim them to fit in a frame. Use large rubber bands (or cotton string) to hold them in place. Get as many brood frames as you can, then work on a couple of honey frames. If you have a Bee Vacuum or can make one quickly, use it to capture all the bees and dump them in the hive. Otherwise brush them off the combs into the hive. Move the hive away a couple miles so they don't go back to the log.

You probably do not have a bee vac in Dom Rep so brush what you can. If you cannot get string, wire or something to secure the comb into the frames, cut it to fit real tight and set them in your hive carefully. Leave them alone a few weeks and they will secure the comb.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

The standard method is a "cut out" where you cut the combs to fit into the frames and tie them in or build special frames to put them in. Here is a cutout with the frames (and how to build the frames) but you can do the same except tie the combs in with string, rubber bands or even long blades of grass:
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...tching-frames/

Also try a search on "cut out" and you may be more pictures. Youtube search might also yield some videos of cut outs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks

Johan