Default Maine beek year one

Well just starting out with 4 hives two of which will be top bar and two Langstrogh. Been researching a whole lot already and have taken a basic class in beekeeping. But I find there is a lot more information to be learned just going about the forum. I've used bees before in my acupuncture practice but am looking forward to getting honey and wax as well.
    So far my two top bars are doing well since I've hived them out earlier this week. Lots of activity and thankfullly the weather has warmed up and they are taking syrup steadily. The bees for the langstrogh hives have not shipped yet so I'll be waiting until then to ask further questions since I am not as familiar with that set up.
    I'll be back with more questions soon while the bees are hopefully building up comb but I haven't gone into the hive again except to check the syrup which is separated by a follower board.

Default Re: Maine beek year one

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hi Bud. Welcome to the forum and the exciting world of keeping bees in Maine.

I'd be interested in hearing how your experience with top bar hives pans out. I've only kept Langs and had been hoping to try a top bar just for the novelty of it. If I don't catch a swarm in one of the many swarm trap boxes I've made, I'll make a split off a Lang. At a recent bee-school that our club puts on, one of Maine's big-shot beekeeping equipment dealers asked if anyone was interested in trying a top bar hive. Like a fool, I walked into his trap and was treated with his condescending and disparaging remarks about top bar hives and those who are interested in them. Basically, he said no one can overwinter a top bar hive in Maine so my goal is to one day to rub his smug little nose in his words.

Good luck and welcome to beekeeping.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,
    This will be my first endevour into beekeeping so I know and have researched top bars and Langs so I know the consequences of each. It seems Michael Bush has no problems with keeping top bars in his local. And I was going to get into warre hive set ups which is a possible next. I will be setting up two other lang hives as well this year once my other packages arrive. But so far my top bar hives are doing unbelievable great. Comb building like gangbusters. Lucky for the recent warm temps.

hi from ontario. already i like thes forum as much or more than natural beekeeping forum. check out gold star bees website. christy hemenway sells tbh, is in i believe maine and she overwinters fine. i will introduce myself on another thread.

Yes, I know of her and have taken a class from her. And there is alot to still learn from everyone on this site. Every little bit helps in the long run. DKayde do you have any hives yourself? You definitely have some some winters there and it would be interesting to compare notes.

yes, i built for myself 3 36" long TBH. talked to my nuc supplier-another 2-3 weeks as spring is so late here. there is no forage here. my supplier wants to make sure i have best chance of success-i agree. i just need to be patient a little longer.
    i've seen swarms here at home so i am about to build a couple trap/lure hives in between my paid/unpaid labour days! work never ends-but it may as well be doing something i like.

"when the student is ready,the teacher will appear"
    '