Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from S. Indiana

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  indypartridge 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would first like to thank you all for sharing such great information. I live in Evansville, IN and work in manufacturing. I have not yet begun beekeeping, but am in the process of deciding what to purchase and make on my own. I am not sure if I will make any equipment this year due to my eagerness to enter beekeeping. I had hopes on finding a local package, nuc, or hive but so far have been unsuccessful in acquiring one. So I might still be able to find the time to make some supers before I can come across any bees, but now seems like the most reasonable time to start a hive for the year. There has been some news around here of swarms that had been removed this week, so I think it in my best interest to quickly find a complete hive in hopes that I will run across a swarm that needs rescuing. This seems to be my best hope at getting an early start this year.

From all that I have noticed so far, the excitement of beekeeping must have caught many people this year. Several of the items that I have tried to order had been back ordered or sold out, especially package bees, and was told that inventories were low because they had been basing sells on the last couple of years and were not prepared for orders this heavy. This sounds like good news to the beekeeping community.

Well, I've rambled long enough for a welcome post. Glad to have this resource available. Please feel free to humor yourselves on all the really silly questions that I will probably have, i'm sure I will have plenty.

See less See more
#2 ·
One thing that I forgot to add that seems relevant to a welcome thread. My desire of beekeeping stems from several areas. I had grown up on a produce farm that keep a couple hives for pollination so have been around bees, but this was at a very young age. I had always thought them interesting and they seem to be a very eco-friendly hobby (not that most of the things that I do are). The most recent reason that I have been wanting to get some hives is that I enjoy home-brewing very much. Only over the last couple years though have I dabbled in the making of mead. I have only made 3 batches, equaling 15 gallons, but I loved every ounce. This will be one of the things that I will be most proud of, making it from my own sources.

Thanks once again.

#8 ·
Hey Nate,

Hello & Welcome! I'm sure you'll find this forum to be a great place to learn more about bees and beekeeping. Be sure to check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum: it contains many good tips covering the basics.

Have you connected with any local beekeepers? There's a Southwest Indiana beekeepers club. Contact info here:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/files/ep-indiana_beekeeping_information.pdf

Depending on your location, there may also be a club across the river in Kentucky:
http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/bees/association/index.htm

This summer, the Heartland Apicultural Society is having their conference in Indiana just up the road from you in Vincennes. It's gonna be a great meeting. Info and tentative schedule here:
http://www.heartlandbees.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.