Thread: First Hive

Hybrid View

Default First Hive

With Wyo's help and guidance, we set up my first hive today with a swarm we collected last weekend. So far, they are adapting well to there new home. They don't seem to like my black German Shepard much. He got stung a few times as he walked by the hive. It is a pretty large colony from what Wyo told me. I noticed this afternoon bees returning loaded Pretty heavy with lots of pollen. I guess thats a good thing..Thanks again Wyo!!

Default Re: First Hive

I would still inspect the hive for any signs of a queen being in the hive! Pollen is a good sign but not a definite answer! And if the hive is that aggressive, you might want to replace the queen if there is one in the hive! Just my opinion!

My Blk Lab pees right out in front of the hives also squats
    They don't bother him a bit
    I would do as stated "look for queen" and if they don't calm down re-queen
    JMHO

Tommyt

Queen's in there and they are looking great! They are actually pretty docile- they just didn't like being gulped out of the air like a flying dog treat!
    Visit us at www.farmzee.com for everything related to small farms!

Yep! My Golden Retriever used to snatch them and eat them too. Loves honey and bees! But one day he was laying in the front seat of my truck while I was working bees and he got mobbed. I pulled 50 or 60 bees out of his coat. He doesn't mess with them much anymore. Still licks up all the honey he can find though.