A hive of mine swarmed and I captured them. I made a mistake and clipped the queen in the swarm, assuming she was my old, mated queen. For almost 2 1/2 weeks now she has not laid so I think she is a virgin queen. Today, I checked and noticed there were larva in the swarm hive, but the pattern was not good and they appeared to all be in drone cells. I took a frame of brood from the original hive and placed it in the swarm hive. My first question is this: do you think the queen in the swarm hive was not viable? My second question isthis: Do you think I should remove the queen and leave them with the brood frame? Do you think they will be okay? My concern is that they've essentially been queenless for almost 3 weeks. It's going to be another 3-4 weeks before a new queen is ready to lay from that brood frame, right? That's 6-7 weeks, in which case my workers are going to be very low on numbers. I'm considering shaking some bees from their original hive into the new swarm hive to give them some
workers. If her wings were clipped, but there are drones in the hive, could she still mate? Thanks everyone.