Hybrid View

Default Queenless Swarm?

A hive of mine swarmed and I captured them. I made a mistake and clipped the queen in the swarm, assuming she was my old, mated queen. For almost 2 1/2 weeks now she has not laid so I think she is a virgin queen. Today, I checked and noticed there were larva in the swarm hive, but the pattern was not good and they appeared to all be in drone cells. I took a frame of brood from the original hive and placed it in the swarm hive. My first question is this: do you think the queen in the swarm hive was not viable? My second question isthis: Do you think I should remove the queen and leave them with the brood frame? Do you think they will be okay? My concern is that they've essentially been queenless for almost 3 weeks. It's going to be another 3-4 weeks before a new queen is ready to lay from that brood frame, right? That's 6-7 weeks, in which case my workers are going to be very low on numbers. I'm considering shaking some bees from their original hive into the new swarm hive to give them some
    workers. If her wings were clipped, but there are drones in the hive, could she still mate? Thanks everyone.

Default Re: Queenless Swarm?

You've just made a superb case for not clipping queens! To boost the population just take some capped brood with adhering bees from your other hive and give it to the trouble hive. Queens don't mate inside a hive no matter the situation. They need to make a mating flight. Same with drones, they won't try to mate in the hive.

Make sure you give the hie a frame of new worker comb with eggs from another hive. Then they can raise a queen if they need to. A frame of brood will help give them numbers but not a queen.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I've given them a frame of uncapped larva. Will that be sufficient, or do they need eggs?

Also, if I give them a frame of capped brood with the bees that are already on that frame, will the bees from the donating hive that are on the frame fight with the bees in the recipeint hive?

you should also kill your drone laying queen.

No, they will not fight. Try to give them a frame with eggs and very young larva so they can pick good ones, the right age, to build cells.