Default When should i check for mites?

I hived my first package just about 4 weeks ago and the colony is off to a good start and the capped brood are just starting to emerge. I have a screened bottom board and am wondering when i should place a sticky board under the screen to check for mites? I have visually been checking when i do inspections as well as taking pictures for later checks but have not been able to spot anything.
    Here is a few pics of the 2nd week inspection
    http://eastvanbees.files.wordpress.c...4/sam_2207.jpg
    http://eastvanbees.files.wordpress.c.../sam_22091.jpg
    Steve
    http://eastvanbees.wordpress.com

Default Re: When should i check for mites?

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Worker bees do not live long enough in the Spring and Summer to get a Varroa infestation. This Fall start keeping a closer eye on the girls.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

That looks great. When you say sticky board do you mean a slider ? If so now ..not just for mites,,,wax moths , shb . what can saftey hurt ?

You can check anytime but a one time check isn't enough. Check over a course of time and keep records. You're looking for trends such as mite counts going up, down, etc.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks for the info. I will start to do regular checks to watch for anything out of the ordinary. Although right now it is difficult to see what is ordinary or not!

Steve
    http://eastvanbees.wordpress.com

In our club it is suggested to check in the spring and fall. Partially because treatment at the time had to do with you should not treat with the older stuff when honey supers are on. That may be changing with the addition of available treatments that allow for treatment with supers on (I'm waiting and seeing on that one).

I'd think fall would give a better count because of the reduced brood in the winter and early spring (I run Italians). Have not treated in 2 years. (fingers crossed, knock on wood)
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

your bees have mites now or soon will have it is just a matter if they will survive the winter or not and whether you want to treat or not. i do not treat at all

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Worker bees do not live long enough in the Spring and Summer to get a Varroa infestation. This Fall start keeping a closer eye on the girls.
    I don't understand this. Don't the mites really multiply inside the cells, exponentially growing in numbers as the broodnest expands? Aren't mites on adult bees pretty minimal (compared to the number in the cells) at all times - other than during the broodless time of the winter?

Thanks,

Adam