Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What is the really critical mating period?

The situation that Mark described is a reality for many many operations... and it used to be no problem to operate that way for decades...

The trouble today is that through the losses of the majority of our nations lineages, diversity has become so limited to crossing strains and the gene pool has become diluted... this combined with the effects of producers grafting all of their queens from one mother (causing buyers to requeen entire yards with sisters), varroa and varroa treatments effecting drone populations in mating yards, and the continuous battle for earlier and earlier queens, our nation has seen a major decline in production averages and queen longevity.

That is where I hope to make a difference... by lowering the need for treatments, raising the production averages, and bringing back a diversity that is based upon lineages, not simply crosses... of course there will always be those that are stuck needing to do what Mark had to do, but by providing pockets of these genetics all across the nation, there will more for those walkaways to breed with, a rise is feral that can survive mites and diseases, and more producers to answer the demand for queens each season, giving us all a bit more time to focus on quality...

This year I purchased Queen Cells and queens from a friend who has been producing queens from a number of Mother Queens for some time now. His new Queen Rearer used to work for Kona Queens. It is impressive to see the record keeping and organization necassary to produce cells and queens when they are supposed to be mailed out.

Are there things I should know when purchasing queens? I did get a variety of kinds of Queens from Kutik Queens.

I'm looking forward to getting some queens from rrussellapiaries next spring.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Is it one of my old guys?? Several student workers of mine went to work with Guss (Kona Queen) over the years... Something about Hawaii that does draws you in... of course, I didnt tell them that they would be on an island with a volcano that has been acting up for a long time and the smell of that ash never leaves you, or that they would live in mosquito filled huts and get paid squat while the cost of basic good is outrageous... No... I just told them soak up the sun and to tell Guss that I said to go easy on them cause they are tenderfeet... Mwahahahaha!

Just joking around of course... Actually most of them loved it... except the one that called me begging me to buy him a flight home... but he was from MI, so the climate change from MI to MS, then to HI must have been a bit much for him. lol. (you know who you are!)

Guss is a great guy.

>>>Are there things I should know when purchasing queens?<<<

too many things to list, but YOU know them already... but I guess for those that may be reading who do NOT already know... just try to use your best judgement when selecting a breeder.. There are a few guys out there that have A+ customer service, but they couldnt GIVE me their queens... and there are a few guys that are awesome in both aspects... Some of the best practices that I have found are from small sideliners that do not even have phones... lol. Only a select group know about those, and we keep them quite content. lol. My point is that every company is different, so think about what type of stock you want to add that year and select the company be what stock you need... then keep yourself flexible and let them produce the best product that they can for you... never requeen the whole outfit (if you fall flat, make it a short drop)... avoid just using one or two in large yards (will dilute too quickly)... the best way to use new queens is to make splits or pull nucs and move them to a new yard... this will give you a location (pocket) were you can judge the performance of the stock and use small amounts of it here and there if you want, by mixing them slowly into other yards... if you do this once every year or two, you should be continually moving forward and picking up the good stocks to add to your gene pool over time...

One last thing... Try not to assume that most queens are the same... Just spoke with someone this week that used to think that way... not going to say who or what stocks, but after adding 50 of certain stock to one yard, he is now having to change his whole operation... not due to a failure, but due to a head start of several months... same breed, different selection process, different production process... from an average of 8 frames of brood on 04-01 to an average of 14 frames of brood on 02-10... The right momma can change everything. On the other side of the coin, I know a man that went 100% with a new stock that was suppose to be a miracle cure... almost wiped him completely out... and the worst thing was that the thing that they were suppose to cure was the main cause of the losses, and the way that they were suppose to cure it was the cause of the rest...

SLOW and Flexible... that is the best way to move in any direction. Purchasing queens is the same... if you just need queens for quick splits that will be remarried later, go with the cheapest and earliest... but for your own yards, go for quality.

OK, may be a stupid question,, did a google search on what is an e-queen,,, got refered to Axel Rose and Guns and Roses,,, any help here?

Lol!!! An e-queen is an emergency queen.... but I guess axle rose will work in a pinch. ;-)

'Emergency' Queen. What the bees will attempt to do when the queen is gone but there are still resources to work with.

thanks guys

Gonna have to start calling them Axel Roses from now on?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

That's just TOO funny! I can see the connection now that I think about it... lol. Pretty much a queen, not always a great one, but has potential and is only used in an emergency... :-)

Ahhh! Now "sweet child of mine" is stuck in my head!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12