Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing packages indoors

I'm installing 200 packages indoors next week. I'm sick of 15% of the packages drifting to nothing so I want it dark for a week or so until they get somewhat established then I'll move them out to separate yards. I've never tried this but feel confident it will work. Any suggestions. Thank you.
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Default Re: Installing packages indoors

Grassing up the entrance is not good enough for you?

Crazy Roland

Zero suggestions. You have to post how it turns out. What are you going to vent them with while indoors?

Your wife must really love you!

may I ask why?

Duct tape the entrance sir! Installing them indoors (presumably with the entrances closed) would still necessitate moving the colonies again, and I don't know what benefit keeping them sealed indoors would provide that keeping them sealed outdoors wouldn't?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I have done it a time or two in years past when the weather was just too bad to do it outdoors seems like it worked ok. wouldnt leave them indoors too long. The biggest problem may be getting them settled in your locations without the drifting that you are trying to avoid. Perhaps some of the folks with indoor wintering expertise can offer some good suggestions
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

We dump packages indoors. Dump 4 to 5 pounds of bees on straight foundation with feeder full of syrup. We leave them indoors (totally dark) for 3 days then move out. Very little if any drifting. Its important to move them out in the evening (NOT morning) so they settle back down during the night.

Hey, thanks Nick, that's EXACTLY what I'm planning on doing. Do you think 5 or 6 days is too long to leave them indoors? I could put another round of feed on if I need to. I'll make sure to move them at night instead of early morning, good advice.

BTW, not planning on duct taping any entrances.
    -Rob Bliss

What are you talking about, indoors? Like in a barn or a garage? You'll need quite a bit of room, w/ no windows. Won't they drift to the light?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

"What are you talking about, indoors? Like in a barn or a garage? You'll need quite a bit of room, w/ no windows. Won't they drift to the light?"

Indoors 60'X90' metal insullated building. All windows covered. Black as night inside. Red lights used during installation or done at night. I could probably install 10 times that many in that building if I wanted (plenty of room).
    -Rob Bliss

Not commercial, nor do I have a lot of experience installing packages. Seems like a lot of work moving hives multiple times when a handful of grass in each entrance should accomplish the same thing. Let us know the outcome. What would be awesome is if you did 100 outside and 100 inside and compared the results.

Reminder Re: Installing packages indoors

We installed 700+ packages in the snow this year. Didn't have any drift at all. If you are going to shake them in a night already why not out in the yards. Has anyone had nice enough weather for bees to drift yet this year. My bees have been in for a month and they have had maybe 5 fly days.

One concern I would have is keeping the temperatures low enough. If temperatures get too high in a wintering room, the bees begin to "crawl" and soon the floor, ceiling, and walls are covered with bees. These bees don't find their way back the hive, die in a couple of hours. In a wintering room, the bees don't leave the hive nearly as easily in fall when they are first moved in than as in spring before they get moved out. Spring temperatures above 60F indoors are probably disastorous, and you wouldn't want temperatures to be above 50F for long. Not sure how high temperatures could go in fall but I think higher. Good air movement blowing on the hives helps keep the bees inside the hives as well. My guess is package bees would behave like fall bees in their urge to leave the hive.

The most effective method I have seen for reducing drift in packages is to add a frame of open brood ( larvae ) at the time of installation.

I envision a mess of bee poop.

I think it would work great, but ya, you need it coolish otherwise they will all leave the boxes anyway.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Big Grin Re: Installing packages indoors

Ah heck Rob, put some Nutra-Bee in there, those bees for sure will never leave.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Some where there is a video of how Jim Paysen ( JZsBZs ) used to make up splits.
    They would bring the parent hive into a building & make splits up on an assembly line type fashion.
    Darn cool!!!!
    Last edited by soupcan; 04-30-2011 at 10:37 AM.

It would be interesting to see that video
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast