Hybrid View

Default At what Ratio does your managed hives genetics overcome the surrounding population?

The question is at what point do you have to worry about your genetics flooding the area around you to the point of inbreeding?

I live in an area that I think is fairly isolated colony wise. I also believe that there is very little as far as managed and or "wild" populations in this area.

Assume in a few years when I have more hive and am rearing my own queens. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how many hives I can manage versus the population around me before I have to be concerned about my genetics spreading and dominating the surrounding population to the point that inbreeding is an issue.

Thanks
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Default Re: At what Ratio does your managed hives genetics overcome the surrounding populatio

Here in Alabama, there are not many colonies of bees period! We have about 1 colony of bees to 1240 acres of land. That is less than one hive to two square miles!! Since most of the "wild" colonies are wiped out, a commercial yard say of 40 colonies would have nothing out there in the wilds to breed with. Thus inbreeding can become a problem. You should bring in new bloodlines every two years. It should be around 10% of the number of colonies you own. Thus 10% of your colonies are requeened with the new genetics. I scattered new genetics through out my operation. TK

Default Re: At what Ratio does your managed hives genetics overcome the surrounding populatio

Thank you, that was the exact information I was looking for.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.