Thread: Caged Queens

Default Caged Queens

Had 14 out of 20 cells accepted and ended up with 14 queens using the nicot system. Got a home for most of them, but I will need to bank a few in the cell builder. Will they keep for a couple of weeks in cages if I don't have a home for them yet? Thanks!

Default Re: Caged Queens

I had a similar situation last weekend. I had the virgins caged, but moved them up out of the brood area to higher in the hive. The cages did not have honey or candy (big mistake) and the bees abandoned the cages. Three of the six virgins starved and were found dead the next day. They emerged on Friday afternoon and were dead Sunday. I will now make sure that they have easy access to candy or some other way to feed themselves. BTW, all had attendants in their cages.

I would like to hear more from those experienced with banking virgins as to the best way to do it.

BuckyBee, you talking about virgins or mated?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

They are virgins and I still have them in the middle of the cell builder. They emerged yesterday.

OK, sorry, I've never caged virgins except once as an experiment. Someone else will have to help out.

I have experience banking mated queens though, they have to be placed between brood combs, preferably unsealed, to attract nurse bees. The hive needs to be very strong, and the queens will be OK for a couple of months.

One comment on banking the virgins for two weeks, they would naturally be making their first flights at about one week and be laying eggs at two weeks. So while I'm sure you can keep them alive, it may have a negative effect on them. But others will know more than me.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

First time rearing queens and I did not expect to have such a good success rate. I think I will have a home for all of them by the weekend. Live and learn.......thanks so much for your help!