Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

When to remove insulation from Honey Run's All Season Inner Cover

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Omie 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I spoke with Tim (Owner of Honey Run Apiaries) for a few minutes at our meeting last night. From what I got out of our conversation is that over 60 degrees F it is safe to remove them. If still in the 50's he suggested to leave them on. He may pop in and follow up if he has time. Seems he has been very busy with his business right now and not able to get on here as much as you use to.

#6 ·
Fantastic. Our nighttime temperatures still dip into the upper 40s and lower 50s, which made me wonder about removing the insulation just yet. This past Saturday morning was chilly enough for me to put on a jacket to go turn the chickens out, and if I'm putting a jacket on then you know it’s cold!
Tim makes great stuff, he has rightly earned the privilege of being busy.
Thanks!

#10 ·
Condensation is the only reason I use the insulated top. The cluster is really only heating itself during the winter so you really aren't saving that much "hive heat" but there is enough that if you have an uninsulated top on that you increase your chance of condensation building above the bees to drop down on them in the winter.

#12 ·
I had just about zero bearding on my two hives all last summer, I am reasonably sure the upper ventilation helped keep the hives from overheating. It's like having an attic with roof vents- the house stays dryer/warmer in the winter, and stays cooler in the summer. :)

I'm sure that folks with many many hives will work out some similar insulation solution else cheaper than buying 300 of these things. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.